Destination weddings are the perfect opportunity to have a truly unique and spectacular wedding in a breathtaking location, all the while enjoying a once-in-a-lifetime holiday with all your favourite people together in the one place. What’s not to love?
It’s no secret that Queensland is home to some of the most incredible beaches and islands in Australia and in fact the world. In particular, Tropical Far North Queensland, with its amazing, warm tropical weather, stunning palm-lined beaches, array of beautiful accommodation options and delicious local produce, is the perfect backdrop for a destination wedding.
Gorgeous Fitzroy Island, located just off the coast of Cairns, is one of Queensland’s top destination wedding locations. With its stunning beaches, lush rainforest vegetation, wide array of accommodation options and amazing location, right in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef, Fitzroy Island is the perfect backdrop for your tropical Queensland destination wedding. And to top that off, planning your dream wedding is made easy with the assistance of our dedicated wedding planner and wedding celebrant.
Let us share with you now in more detail why Fitzroy Island is one of Queensland’s top destination wedding locations.
Beautiful Fitzroy Island is situated a mere 45 minutes away from the Cairns Marina (via Fast Cat) and sits right in the heart of the World Heritage Listed Great Barrier Reef. Cairns Domestic and International Airport is located just 10 minutes by road from the Cairns Marina, making accessing Fitzroy Island easy for you and your wedding guests.
Covered 97% by National Park (a mix of succulent rainforest and coastal woodland vegetation) and home to Nudey Beach (awarded the number one spot in Australia’s Top 101 Beaches awards in 2018), Fitzroy Island is not only breathtakingly beautiful, but is also situated in one of the most incredible regions in the world, Tropical Far North Queensland. With its warm and balmy weather and so much to see and explore, it’s hard to beat Fitzroy Island’s outstanding location when it comes to planning your dream wedding.
Choice of Three Stunning Ceremony Locations
At Fitzroy Island, we have three beautiful locations to choose from when it comes to your wedding ceremony, depending on whether you are having a small and intimate wedding or a large event with all of your family and friends. However big or small your wedding, all ceremonies on Fitzroy Island are inclusive of a rehearsal (the day prior), an alternative in case of wet weather and crowd control (for quietness and maximum privacy).
Our on-site wedding coordinator is there to support you through every step of your wedding planning journey and shall also be there to ensure all runs smoothly on your big day.
Your Fitzroy Island destination wedding ceremony can be held at your preferred ceremony location:
(1) Garden Ceremony: With shade offered by beautiful island palms and bordered by tropical gardens, a Garden Ceremony conducted on our manicured grass lawn is perfect for a romantic, picturesque island ceremony.
(2) Welcome Bay Beach Ceremony: The stunning white coral sand and gentle, turquoise water of Welcome Bay is the perfect option for bridal couples wishing to have a natural beach ceremony.
(3) Nudey Beach Ceremony: For a truly spectacular and intimate beach wedding (think a maximum of 35 guests), Nudey Beach is a lovely choice. Your Nudey Beach ceremony location is accessed either by a gentle wander through the rainforest or by cruising to the shore on Fitzroy Island Resort’s private glass bottom boat from the Welcome Bay Jetty.
Choose from Three Spectacular Reception Venues
Fitzroy Island also offers a choice of three different wedding reception venues, as follows:
(1) Welcome Bay Room: Welcome Bay Room is a popular choice for couples celebrating with a large number of guests (up to 120 people) and boasts stunning natural daylight as well as outstanding sunset views from its wrap-around outdoor balconies. Welcome Bay Room facilities include entertainment, AV and perhaps most importantly, a dancefloor!
(2) Foxy’s Bar & Grill: If a casual wedding reception setting sounds ideal to you and your partner, Foxy’s Bar & Grill is a great choice. Situated just 100m from the resort right on Welcome Bay beach, the 70’s Pacific Islands-themed Foxy’s Bar & Grill has a splendid, tropical, relaxed atmosphere for your dream destination wedding.
(3) Zephyr Restaurant: For something a little more luxurious, you may wish to consider a reception on the outdoor terrace of Fitzroy Island’s very own alfresco-style restaurant, Zephyr.
Thanks to its incredible location in the heart of TFNQ, you can rest assured that no matter your choice of reception venue, our qualified chefs shall incorporate delicious, local fresh produce and take time and care to create a delectable menu for your dream day, whether it includes canapes, platters, a buffet, alternate-drop or a combination of the above.
Accommodation Options to Suit All Guests
Unlike many other destination wedding locations in Queensland (particularly island locations), Fitzroy Island Resort has a very wide range of accommodation options available for you and your guests, starting with budget-friendly options such as camping, bungalows and cabins, through to something a little more luxurious, including our studios, suites and even our 4-Bedroom Penthouse.
For you and your fiancé(e), a complimentary night’s stay in an Ocean Suite (and a bottle of Australian sparkling wine to celebrate your big day) is included as part of your Fitzroy Island Resort wedding package.
Remove the Stress – Work Together with Our Dedicated Wedding Planner and Celebrant
It is no secret that planning a wedding can be a very stressful experience. Instead, why not choose to work with our dedicated wedding planner and celebrant? Together with you and your fiancé(e), our dedicated wedding team can help bring your destination wedding dreams to life, leaving you with the most magnificent memories of your tropical wedding shared with the people you love most.