- Discover Fitzroy
- The Resort
- Day Trips
- Things To Do
- Functions & Events
- Contact Us
Reserve your stay
Marine Conservation Program
Marine Conservation Program
Are you passionate about our oceans and marine conservation?
Take part in our Marine Conservation Program on Fitzroy Island and assist our team and two non for profit organisations while contributing to the preservation, protection and rehabilitation of fragile marine ecosystems and threatened marine species of the Great Barrier Reef.
The MCP involves working with the Cairns Turtle Rehabilitation Centre, the Reef Restoration Foundation and the Eye on the Reef Monitoring Program to provide vital information to the GBRMPA. Discover more about the program below and join us in making a difference.
Help Protect Our Oceans
Did you know that our oceans cover 70% of the planet? They are crucial to life on earth. We rely on their species and ecosystems for climate regulation, food for humans and other land animals, shaping our coastlines, livelihoods and more – not to mention they are incredibly beautiful!
Our oceans are under threat and need our help.
Our Marine Conservation program gives you a unique opportunity to do your part and contributing to the health of the Great Barrier Reef.
Dive deeper into conservation issues with this immersive educational program:
- Provide assistance with care of turtles at CTRC, includes behind the scenes tour with Jennie Gilbert.
- Provide CTRC with vital information on sea turtle population. Have the chance to name a sea turtle, if they haven’t been identified yet.
- Support the work of Reef Restoration Foundation with removal of drupella (coral eating snail).
- Contribute to monitoring of the reef with Eye on the Reef program by GBRMPA.
- 0915 – Meet your Marine Biologist at the Tour Desk
- 0930 – Introduction the program and the Great Barrier Reef
- 1000 – Behind the scenes tour of the Turtle Rehab Centre
- 1130 – Introduction In-water Activity & Reef Restoration Foundation
- 1200 – Lunch
- 1300 – Eye on the Reef (land practice) & Collection of Snorkel Gears
- 1330 – In water (Data collection with Eye on the Reef, Turtle Monitoring & Drupella Removal)
- 1500 – Exit the water
- 1600 – Review of data collected
- When: Held every Monday with additional sessions during busy periods (subject to change).
- Duration: 9am to 4pm – 7 hours
- Ages: Recommended for adults 16 years and over.
- Includes: Lunch, refreshments and snorkel gear.
- Cost: $199 per person
What to bring:
- Sun protection – Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Camera – for turtle monitoring
- Water bottle
Getting to Fitzroy Island
This program is available for both Day Tour and Resort Guests.
- Daily Fitzroy Flyer departure times from Cairns are: 8:00am, 11:00am and 1:30pm
- Daily Fitzroy Flyer departure times from Fitzroy Island are: 9:30am, 12:15pm* and 5:00pm
Bookings are available online.
Group bookings please contact the resort via our contact form or call us.