Cairns is one of Australia’s most popular tourist destinations attracting visitors from all over the country, and the World. It offers a great balance between city entertainment and attractions with rugged, natural beauty where you can easily escape the crowds and get lost in your own piece of paradise.
When you mix this with all year round warm, tropical climate and the fact it is the only place in the World where two UNESCO World Heritage listed national parks sit side by side, you begin to get a picture of why a holiday to Cairns and Far North Queensland is a must for all travellers.
With it’s location Cairns is a great starting point for adventures further into Far North Queensland Wet Tropics and Outer Great Barrier Reef, but for those looking for some great day tour options out of the Cairns CBD and surrounding beaches we have put together this list of the 4 Best Cairns Day Tours.
4 Best Cairns Day Tours
Fitzroy Island is a large tropical Island that sits just a short 45 minute ferry ride from Cairns. There are 3 companies running day tours to the islands and tickets start from around just $75 per person, return.
When visiting Cairns a trip to the Great Barrier Reef is a must, and Fitzroy Island offer the best day tour to experience the natural wonder and abundant marine life of the Great Barrier Reef. It also has great facilities and number of activities to keep everyone entertained all day long.
Fitzroy Island Activities:
- Snorkelling around the warm, pristine waters and stunning coral reefs that fringe the islands many beaches.
- Hiking on of the islands 5 main hiking tracks. Hikes range from a leisurely 30 minutes stroll to surrounding secluded beaches, to more physical 3hr hikes to the Lighthouse Summit for those looking for more of a challenge.
- Glass Bottom Boat Tours to enjoy a fish-eye-view of the surrounding Great Barrier Reef and the animals that call it home such as seas turtles, clown fish and much more.
- Visit the Sea Turtle Rehabilitation Centre and see the amazing work these nature lovers are doing to save and rehabilitate injured sea turtles.
- There are so many more activities such as sea kayaking, the giant ocean trampoline, relaxing under palm trees on the beach and relaxing by the resort pool with a cocktail.
Fitzroy Island Resort also offer full facilities including a restaurant, bar, cafes, mini supermarket, bbq facilities, large lagoon swimming pool and much more.
For more information on Fitzroy Island Day Tours click here.
Skyrail and Kuranda Scenic Rail
There is no better way to explore the rainforest mountains surrounding Cairns than a Skyrail and Kuranda Scenic Rail tour.
From just $85 per person you’ll enjoy a great day out exploring the the rainforest and Kuranda. Your journey will include a trip on the Kuranda Scenic Railway which was built over 120 years ago and weaves it’s way through rainforest on your way to Kuranda. Its construction is considered an engineering feat even by today’s standards and the 15 hand-made tunnels and 37 bridges stand as a monument to the pioneers of Tropical North Queensland.
Once you reach Kuranda you’ll have plenty of time to explore this beautiful little “Village In The Rainforest”. Here you can see more of the wildlife that inhabits these parts with a visit to one of the many wildlife attractions, which include:
- Birdworld Kuranda, home to more than 60 species of tropical birds
- Australia’s largest butterfly sanctuary, with over 1500 butterflies;
- The Koala Gardens where you can cuddle a koala and hand feed wallabies.
On your return you’ll take the world famous Skyrail Rainforest Cableway. The Skyrail is a once in a lifetime gondola experience that passes over World Heritage listed Wet Tropics Rainforest in comfortable, all weather cable cars. You’ll experience a birds-eye views as you glide just metres over the rainforest canopy.
Scenic Helicopter Flight Over The Great Barrier Reef
A Scenic Helicopter Flight is one of the best ways to view the Great Barrier Reef. You’ll be amazed by the colours and wonder and you pass over one of the seven natural wonders of the world in air-conditioned comfort.
You can choose a tour that goes straight out to the reef or also hover over the rainforest where you’ll get an idea of just how large this ancient forest really is.
Hartley’s Creek Crocodile Adventure
Hartley’s Creek Crocodile Adventure is the best way to get up close and personal to some of Australia’s most beautiful and dangerous animals all whist in a safe, comfortable environment. The wildlife park has remained committed to creating enclosures that mimic the animal’s natural environment as closely as possible.
Entry is just $39 per adult, $19.50 per child and $97.50 for a family of 4.
This price includes access to all the animal enclosures including…
- Snakes and Lizards
- Bird and Insects
- Cassowaries, and much more
There are also many feeding shows and opportunities to get up close and personal to some of the cuddlier animals.
When visiting Cairns there is so much to do that you’ll need to plan ahead of you want to see it all. I hope this short guide to the best day tours in Cairns has helped make that job a little easier.