Destination weddings have grown in popularity over recent years, and with good reason. Destination weddings enable you to whisk away your partner and loved ones on holiday to an incredible location, all the while celebrating one of the best days of your life – your wedding!
Queensland, Australia is a very popular location for a destination wedding, thanks to its amazing warm weather and abundance of stunning landscapes. Without a doubt, Fitzroy Island, located in Tropical Far North Queensland off the coast of Cairns, is one of the most spectacular, romantic locations in Australia (and the world!) to get married and celebrate with your loved ones.
Let’s take a look now at why you can’t beat a tropical destination wedding at exquisite Fitzroy Island.
Incredible Tropical Island Location
Fitzroy Island is located a mere 45 minutes from Cairns (from the Cairns Marina via Fast Cat), the heart of Tropical Far North Queensland. Not only is Fitzroy Island an idyllic tropical island paradise, it is also located amongst the magic of the breathtaking Great Barrier Reef.
Fitzroy Island is 97% National Park, meaning the island is primarily lush tropical rainforest as well as coastal woodlands vegetation (waiting to be explored by one of the island’s numerous walking and hiking trails). Fitzroy Island is surrounded by warm, calm turquoise ocean waters, and enables you to swim or snorkel straight from the shore out onto the magic of the reef. Not to mention, in 2018, Nudey Beach on Fitzroy Island was awarded the number one spot in Australia’s Top 101 Beaches Awards!
Due to its tropical location, Fitzroy Island is the ultimate destination wedding location, and is warm all year round (with winter temps of 19 to 25 degrees Celsius, and summer 24 to 31 degrees Celsius). Accessing Fitzroy Island for you and your guests is made easy; simply fly into Cairns Domestic and International Airport, travel to Cairns Marina (just 10 minutes away) and board Fitzroy Island’s Fast Cat. Following a 45-minute ride, you shall arrive at the island’s stunning Welcome Bay.
Array of Accommodation Options
If you are concerned about accommodation costs for your guests travelling to your destination wedding, a wedding on Fitzroy Island is the perfect choice for you. With budget options (beachside camping), all the way through to luxurious suites, there is something to suit everyone, in terms of both taste and budget.
As part of your Fitzroy Island wedding package, you and your new husband or wife can celebrate your marriage in a complimentary night’s stay in one of our beautiful Ocean Suites (including a bottle of Australian sparkling wine, too!).
Three Stunning Wedding Ceremony Locations
Fitzroy Island gives you not one but three different exquisite locations to choose from when it comes to your wedding ceremony, dependent upon whether you choose to have a smaller, more intimate celebration, or celebrate with numerous family and friends. Whatever the size of your group, a wedding ceremony on Fitzroy Island includes:
-a rehearsal, before your perfect day,
-an alternative location in case of wet weather, and
-crowd control (ensuring you enjoy a quiet and peaceful ceremony with maximum privacy).
Did you know that on Fitzroy Island we have our own dedicated wedding planner (as well as our very own celebrant)? Our wedding coordinator is there to guide and assist you with every step of your wedding planning journey, in addition to being there on your wedding day to make certain every detail runs as smoothly as possible.
You can choose from one of the following options for your destination wedding ceremony on Fitzroy Island:
(1) Garden Ceremony: If you are after a tropical garden ceremony, this option is perfect for you. Bordered by a stunning tropical garden and conducted on Fitzroy Island Resort’s manicured grassed lawn, a garden ceremony is perfectly picturesque and romantic.
(2) Welcome Bay Beach Ceremony: Think exquisite white coral sand, calm turquoise ocean waters and a coconut palms backdrop, and you have yourself a Welcome Bay Beach Ceremony – the perfect choice for couples after a natural beach environment to say their vows.
(3) Nudey Beach Ceremony: Nudey Beach is the ultimate beach location if your ideal ceremony is both intimate (think maximum 35 guests) and exquisitely picturesque, and can be accessed either by a gentle stroll through the rainforest or via the island’s very own glass bottom boat.
Choice of Three Amazing Reception Venues
Just as you have the choice of three stunning ceremony locations, a destination wedding on Fitzroy Island means you also have the choice of one of the following three options for your wedding reception in paradise:
(1) Welcome Bay Room: Welcome Bay Room, famous for its wrap-around balconies and breathtaking sunset views, is located on the first floor of Fitzroy Island Resort and can hold a maximum of 120 people. Natural light-filled Welcome Bay Room has a dance floor, AV and entertainment facilities.
(2) Foxy’s Bar & Grill: Situated right on Fitzroy Island’s beachfront (just 100m from the resort) in beautiful Welcome Bay you shall find Foxy’s Bar and Grill, with a 1970’s Pacific Islands theme. Foxy’s Bar & Grill is a superb option for a more casual, laidback destination wedding reception.
(3) Zephyr Restaurant: If you are looking for a tropical and tasteful alfresco-style restaurant reception, Zephyr Restaurant is the choice for you. Choose a delicious menu specific to your preferences and enjoy an intimate celebration in Fitzroy Island’s exclusive restaurant.
Whatever your choice, you can rest assured knowing that your wedding menu will feature some of the most delectable fresh ingredients sourced from numerous local suppliers in the Tropical Far North Queensland region. Our dedicated wedding planner shall work with you to create a reception menu you and your guests will not forget.
Work Together with Our Dedicated Wedding Planner and Wedding Celebrant
Wedding planning without the assistance of a professional can be very challenging and stressful. Working together with our dedicated wedding planner and celebrant to create your perfect wedding day can help you to alleviate this stress, and enable you to sit back and soak in every moment of your tropical island destination wedding, together with the people who you love most.